Margaret Thatcher aka Maggie enters our lives and begins her reign of duck world at PumpjackPiddlewick

This is the story of how Margaret Thatcher, aka Maggie, came into our lives. She has gone on to become the Queen of our duck world and rules it with an iron fist. Or is that wing? Or foot?

Her story begins in spring of 2015…

It started with losing our Delilah Duck to a fox. She was taken from her nest under a hedge in the garden. We moved the eggs left behind to Lucy’s nest in the duck house.

Something’s Wrong

Saturday was a lovely sunny day, the kind that normally finds me (hopefully) writing letters, lying amongst the rabbits. And so it was that afternoon, when I looked up to see Kath and Kim, our two non-nesting females waddle past. It took me a moment to realise there was something wrong. It was too quiet, which meant, where was Mr Drake?

Monsieur Drake is the original dwarf Tourette’s Mallard Drake. He normally would be heard before he was seen. Duck world was never quite ‘quiet’ as wherever he went he quacked, or more, muttered. We thought of it like Tourette’s, generally talking softly, and then throwing in the odd swear word. He livened up the garden no end, so it was noticeable when he wasn’t to be heard.

Add to this, that Kim had attached herself like velcro to Mr Drake in her bid to become alpha female, whilst the older ladies were on their nests, and was now to be seen with just Kath. A real sense of foreboding could be felt.

More Death in Duck World

We searched everywhere, but it was immediately clear that Mr Drake had vanished. It was eerie. No forewarning, no noise, no quacking, no evidence. Just… nothing.

We had to assume that he was taken by a bird of prey since it was in daylight. We could never be certain as again there was no evidence left behind. To say we were upset, was to put it mildly. He was a true character. Crochety, cantankerous, and swore a lot, but the garden would not be the same without him. R.I.P. Mr Drake, you will be sorely missed.

Never a Dull Moment

The very next morning we went to let the remaining ducks out to find that Lucy had 4 ducklings to contend with. A truly bitter-sweet moment, that sense where one life ends and another begins. But this is only the beginning of our Duck World Drama.

Kath and Kim duly took to wandering the garden together, Lucy protected her new brood in the duck house, moving the little fluff balls to another corner, where I had put down fresh straw.  I went to clean out her nest only to find 4 more eggs there. (The ones from Delilah, or Lucy’s original eggs?)

I intended to dispose of them, only to discover that one had a pipped (when the bird inside breaks through the shell getting ready to hatch). But as the eggs were rather cool by now I wasn’t overly optimistic.

We then did what I later read you should never do and that was pick back a bit of the shell from the pip. But even so, I am glad I did for it revealed a tiny beak that was moving, making me realise there was still life in these eggs. I then tapped the other eggs and was greeted with a ‘tick’ noise back from 2 of the others.

Learning Fast

Quickly taking the eggs up to our cottage, I went about trying to cobble together an incubator. Grabbing a thermal cooler, a towel was put in it with the eggs on it, and stuck it in front of our heater turned up high. Then I tried to find information, as quickly as I could. Anything and everything about DIY incubators and hatching duck eggs.

Now it is a funny thing, the internet truly is a wondrous source of information, but not, it would seem, when you really need it and are in a hurry.  Could I find anything on making a really basic, emergency incubator. Nope.  All the instructions I found were about thermometers and keeping incubators at specific temperatures. I did learn to dampen the towels as duck eggs require humidity, and also that I needed to wet the membrane I had exposed by chipping the pipped duck egg so it didn’t harden and trap the duckling inside, e.g. too hard to break through.

I felt I had managed to get the temperature inside the cooler at least warm, if not slightly hot, but with no thermometer, we could only hope for the best.

Still More Death and a Slow Birth

The next day found David coming back from letting the animals out of duck world to say ‘Did we have 3 or 4 ducklings?’ Uh, oh. It seemed we were down to 3. Something had gotten in to the Duck house and taken one of the ducklings.  We duly sealed up any and all cracks.

As for our pipped egg, it was no larger but the beak was still moving, breathing, and we could hear a ‘tick’ sound. I chipped a bit more of the egg away from around the beak to give it more room, but then saw blood and stopped.

Again, it was straight to the internet only to read ‘don’t assist ducks out of eggs’, ‘don’t remove shell’, and above all else ‘stop if you see blood’.  There was actually lots of good advice (thank you, but like everything in this world it didn’t quite apply to the circumstances. It was a matter of collecting as much information as possible and try to guess the best solution. To say there was frustration and tension, would be an understatement.

The Tension is Mounting

It wasn’t long after giving the beak more space that the peeping began. I waited, and the peeping continued. I kept wetting the membrane, but still no sign of the zipping of the shell, as they call it in the poultry world, which when done allows the bird to push out one end of the egg. The peeping continued, but that was all.

I read on one of the bits of advice, that once you start to assist a hatching you have to continue. I used this as my excuse to pick back more bits of shell, exposing more membrane. If a drop of blood would show, I stopped.  I would then look for more information.  This was all over the course of an entire day,. I took myself off to other chores now and then to avoid the fiddle factor and sense of heightening anxiety that things were not going well. Throughout the beak kept moving and peeping, but nothing more.

By the time I had to go to bed, I had picked back about 1/3 of the shell, leaving the membrane. I then moistened that to translucency and put the egg back in the incubator for the night, wondering what tomorrow would bring.

Happy Birthday to Me

Tuesday dawned, and my birthday. Still nothing new, except now only the very occasional peep and a barely moving beak. Panic was setting in. I took the decision to assist, as I felt we would lose the little duckling otherwise.

I picked off more of the shell, discovering the air pocket – which was at the opposite end from the beak. The duckling was upside down. What I learned is called malpositioned. I could tell she was fading and so slowly tore a little of the membrane away. When a spot of blood showed, I stopped, waited an hour, and then started again.

Patience is Truly a Virtue

With a chick or duckling in the egg, when it comes time to hatching they will have absorbed the blood into themselves from the inner membrane, along with the yolk, reducing the veins around the shell to essentially nothing. This bleeding was telling me I needed to stop to allow more absorption. (Yup, all learned from the internet during this process.) I also took heart that it wasn’t much blood.

Each hour I removed a little more, opened up the membrane a little more, stopped when any blood showed, putting the duckling back in the incubator whilst waiting for more blood to be absorbed. And slowly a little duckling began to emerge.

I eased the membrane back, over the existing egg shell, trying to keep it intact as much as possible so the duckling could absorb as much as it could.

This One Wants to Live

I had an inkling of hope when I came back to the incubator to discover a little duckling out of the shell, with just the end piece attached to the umbilical cord.  I could see that not all of the yolk had been absorbed yet. Again, I waited.

The next time I looked was to find her at the back of the incubator, still attached to the piece of shell. (She became a she in my mind for some reason, the moment I saw her out of the shell.) I got the impression it was a retreat from the dampness/humidity of the towels as now that there was no shell around her, she seemed to be shivering slightly.

Carefully, I touched her for the first time, taking her out and wrapping her in a flannel. I kept her next to my warmth. Now and then she would have bursts of energy, flinging her legs about very obviously trying to detach the last piece of shell. The umbilical looked quite dry and shrivelled (again more internet research). It was supposed to eventually dry enough to be detached by her. But as time passed she became more and more agitated about it. I decided to once again wade in, and snipped the cord. She immediately calmed down and slept.

Margaret Thatcher is Born a Duck

We spent ages after all this drama doing… nothing. Just me watching a film whilst holding her, keeping her warm. And slowly, she came back to life. Trying to lift her head, giving the odd peep, and occasional wriggling her little body.  David came home from the vineyard and was greeted with a chirp.

We discussed names. I felt it should be something worthy of her fight for life, like Boadicea, but maybe not so complicated. David decided Maggie, after Margaret Thatcher, another strong female who could fight. I cringed, not sure I wanted a duckling named after a love/hate prime minster. But it has stuck. And so we welcomed Maggie.

Amongst Happiness, More Sadness

Since then, Maggie has become even more precious. She is now the lone surviving duckling of duck world.  The other 3 eggs in the cobbled incubator did not make it. Maybe we had made it too hot, maybe they were simply not strong enough to break their shells. They never pipped.

And, Lucy’s remaining 3 ducklings were snatched from their enclosure. Again, we don’t know who the culprit was. Given all 3 were taken we are assuming ravens, jays or similar.

One Day at a Time

We’ve made the decision to keep our tiny duckling, hopefully safe, in the cottage. We’ve started to recognise the chirps and what they mean, e.g. hunger, agitation when she can’t see or hear us, or simply telling us about her busy, busy day.  She definitely has a strong personality and zest for life. She’s constantly changing and a (somewhat sleepless) joy to watch. Rather like time-lapse photography, we can all but see her growing before our eyes as she almost doubles in size each day.

I am not certain what will come in terms of her and joining the other ducks. Time will tell. We are simply taking each day as it comes, humans and duckling learning how to adapt to what we find. We will certainly wait until she is larger before she will venture outside.

And, we have a kitten arriving at the end of the month. Perfect timing as they will be about the same size by then. We’re anticipating they will make good companions (yes, it is possible), so watch this space.  And in the meantime, in the words of our Maggie, ‘Peep, peep, peep’.

[hoot_slider id=”4042″]

For further adventures of Maggie~

Maggie makes friends with the Rabbits

Maggie’s best friend Gigi, the cat

What’s it Like to have a pet duck?

Maggie can fly

Breakfast with Maggie

Diapering a Duck

Dealing with a pregnant Duck

Maggie has her own ducklings

Bad Mummy Duck

Margaret Thatcher runs for President of France

Can Ducks actually be Pets?

PS: Love Ducks?

We have a selection of duck gifts available for you or those you know who love ducks. Some vintage, some our own designs, all unique.

(Simply click on the photo to see more, and/or purchase.)


Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.